Thursday, December 15, 2011

Rumplestiltzkin




Rumplestiltzkin was always my favorite story from The Brothers Grimm.



The name Rumpelstilzchen in German means literally "little rattle stilt".  A rumpelstilt or rumpelstilz was the name of a type of goblin that makes noises by rattling posts and rapping on planks. The meaning is similar to rumpelgeist ("rattle ghost") a mischievous spirit that clatters and moves household objects.



Rumplestilzkin was a story that gave me a creepy feeling inside. It was a feeling that no horror movie could ever give me as i grew older. In my mind I believed Rumplestiltzkin was a historical character that because of his evilness died a horrible death. Whenever i heard about "The Devil" or "Demons" I always felt they had some connection  with Rumplestiltzkin. even to this day is i sit and really dwell upon the story those uneasy feelings come back to me. Maybe it is because hearing the story puts me back into a childlike state of mind where my imagination runs wild and my eyes begin to play tricks on me and that old fear begins to feel real again. 


The Brothers Grimm fairy-tales are stories that i will share with my children when they are growing up. I feel like my generation will be last generation to hear those great stories. Now that a TV and Computers exist in every household it seems nobody tells their children stories anymore. It is easier for a parent to turn on the TV in their child's room and forget about them for the rest of the night and because of that children's imaginations are not as strong as they used to be. Everything is visual now and it leaves little room for your imagination to create its own villains and heroes. I am going to do my best to read to my kid every night and i hope he/she does the same with their kids when they are parents. It would be a shame to never share those stories again. 




“Thou Shalt Not is soon forgotten, but Once Upon a Time is forever.” 

No comments:

Post a Comment