Monday, December 19, 2011

"I would have slit my wrists if it wasn't for rock'n'roll!"


What does it take for a song to change your life? Have you ever thought about that?

I always hear people say "That song cganged my life" or "that song saved my life" you will usually hear those quotes in music documentaries, movies about music, or a hour special on "the 90's" brought to you by VH1. I have compiled my own little list of Songs that made me think differently about my life, the world and music in general.


1. Malleus Maleficarum by A.F.I

"My skin is singed but it heals my heart
and with glowing pride I'll wear my scars.
I'm honoured by your hatred."

When I first hear Davey Scream that verse i had to stop what i was doing so i could skip back to the beginning of that song. It was a classic case of the "nobody understands me" teenage angst that really made me feel like Davey Havok wrote that song about my personal feelings. "Honored by your hatred!" YOU'RE ARE DAMN RIGHT! You hate me because i am not like you and it feels good because i don't want to be like you. From that day forward I knew I wasn't the only person that felt that way.

2. Radio Radio by Elvis Costello

"You either shut up or get cut up, they don't wanna hear about it
It's only inches on the reel-to-reel
And the radio is in the hands of such a lot of fools
Tryin' to anaesthetise the way that you feel"

I first heard of Elvis Costello on a show on MTV called All Things Rock hosted by Benji and Joel Madden from Good Charlotte. I was in desperate need of listening to something new something that all my friends didn't know about. Everybody should have known about Elvis Costello but we didn't we were 14 and the only music that existed in our mind was bands that were big at the time bands like New Found Glory, Good Charlotte, and MXPX (I love all of those bands to this day)but here i was listening to an amazing artist that influenced the bands that i currently was listening to on a daily basis. I felt like someone had just let me in on a secret and that secret was so juicey that i had to let all my friends know. I remember picking up three albums by Elvis Costello soon after i heard him for the first time those albums were My Aim Is True, Brutal Youth, and This Years Model.

3.For Your Love by The Yardbirds

The Lyrics in that song did not speak to me and I couldnt even say if I understood what they were talking about all i knew was this band is good this band was everything that Rock'n'Roll should be. I finally understood the amazing talent of Eric Clapton. In my eyes Rock'n'Roll is the Yardbirds everything else is a shitty rip-off. Led Zepplin who the fuck are they? nothing good in my eyes because The Yardbirds were the original Led Zepplin before the music became watered down. Thw day I heard The Yardbirds was the day i became an ass-hole about music because i felt i knew more than anyone else. If anyone wanted to talk about great music I would just talk about how much better The Yardbirds were compared to their shitty "Rock'n'Roll heroes"

No comments:

Post a Comment